Designed by John Ostell and completed in 1853, Notre Dame de Grace Church formed the village center of a small rural community on the outskirts of Montreal. Elaborately decorated with Rocaille style stone carvings, the main façade commemorates the Jesuit architecture of Montreal’s first parish church. The original religious ensemble included a stone rectory that was demolished in 1927 to make way for a bell tower, a baptistery, a library and a chapel designed by Joseph-Omer Marchand.
Realised over a five year period, the project includes the exterior restoration of the church and the bell tower and the interior design of a new parish hall, entry vestibule, washrooms and service areas. The restoration strategy is based on the use of traditional materials and artisanal techniques and the respect of Ostell and Marchand’s original designs.
Extensive restoration work was carried out on the main façade including the replacement of several elaborately carved stones and artisanal tinsmith work. Located in the church basement, the parish hall was entirely re-fitted. Aging suspended ceilings were removed to expose the ceiling structure and floor and wall finishes in bright colours were used to mark functions and orient movement.